Sunday, November 16, 2008

Asante's First Birthday



Can you believe that Asante is a one-year-old already?! This year has flown by. I still have his picture of when he was first born on my laptop… I can’t believe how much he’s grown, and how his personality reveals itself more and more everyday.

For this birthday, I was sadly gone from 7a-6p, but when I got home, we ate a quick dinner and then had a few other American families over (and their kids) for some cake and opening of cards/gifts. It was a good time of celebration, and Asante LOVED having 6 other kids and 2 babies to celebrate with him. Before everyone came he was being really cranky and I wasn’t sure if this was going to be a good party, but as soon as people started showing up, he turned into all smiles and began to ham it up. Sigh. How did we raise such an extrovert?! I think it’s all you college students’ fault ☺.

Anyway, he loved it. At first he daintly picked at his cake, nicely putting it in his mouth. Then, he got a little more brave and dug in a little more. Then, maybe realizing that we had no limits on him, dug his face into it! By the end, he had it all over his ENTIRE body, as well as jake’s clothes (on whose lap he was sitting). It was great. And like his momma, he made sure to eat all the icing, but not the cake.

The kids were really sweet. They made him cards and one family even brought him a gift! One of the girls even gave him a puppet show. I had thought about doing a big birthday party, but since asante is just one, and I didn’t have a lot of time to put things together, I knew I couldn’t do the “NEGST birthday”… which consists off ALL the kids (about 60 or 70, I think), coming to your house with their own plate and cup, and you serve everyone snacks and juice and stuff. Whew! That would have been too overwhelming for me at this point.

In addition to birthday celebrations, Asante has been really improving on his walking! He took his first steps 2 weeks ago on Jake’s birthday, and now he’s walking around like crazy. He still crawls, and he still falls, but he pretty much always tries to walk first. I’m proud of him! It’s crazy that although almost every human being goes through this, a parent can be so proud ☺.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw man, I love Asante so much. I'm glad that he had a great birthday. It sounds like he and I are cake opposites because I want all kinds of cake, but little to no icing. In the future, we should be cake buddies--it's like we were meant for each other. :-)

Isaac Johnson said...

Asante was born on your laptop? ;)

jenny said...

I want cake...

Cassie said...

Looks like a fun time. Congrats on expecting again. What an experience to have a child in another country! Brave soul.ir

Unknown said...

he is sooooooooo cute!!! man. i love that he dug his face in. and good choice on the chocolate, it totally shows up better!