Monday, September 22, 2008

Cooking in Africa!

I always thought I was decent cook…but little did I know that I was only pseudo-cooking until now ☺. Cooking in Africa is much different. I only have 2 gas burners, so I have to figure out how to make everything we want on those! (although I am considering buying a small oven … it kinda looks like a toaster oven… where you can fit one casserole dish in it).

Anyway… I’m learning, slowly but surely.

Here’s a woman at the school who sells fruits and vegetables. She buys them at the market, and then sells them a little higher here on campus. We call her Mama Flora (because she is the mother of Flora).


Here are some things that we have bought over these past few weeks…

A red pepper the size of Asante’s head (for about 40 schillings, or 60 cents):


An avocado almost as big as my head (okay, not really), but it’s big. It cost probably, like 10 schillings… or 16 cents:


And big fresh pineapples cost 30-40 cents here—we love them! We have been buying one a week to snack on during the day.

So far I’ve learned how to make homemade spaghetti sauce (from tomatoes!) and meatballs, chili (which wasn’t hard, but I did have to cook the kidney beans), oogali (which is a white bread that you make from just water and flour on the stove), hummus, and guacamole.

And here are some fun bonus pics of Asante: ☺

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why's Mama Flora hiding behind a tree? Is she a ninja?

Unknown said...

I LOVE AVACADOS! (ha, but i love you guys more!) asante is getting bigger by the day...and i am so excited for you and learning all these cool things! the beads are awesome...i want them all...it is so encouraging to hear the things you are learning...

Anonymous said...

That is freaking awesome. When you all come back, I want some of that homemade spaghetti sauce! Also, that peper would have been over $2 here. :(

Anonymous said...

Oh, I want some bonus pictures of Jake.

Jessica said...

Heyyy! I love this entry! I was just thinking about how I missed that kid and needed some pictures.

and i say get the oven. you guys are going to *need* some yummy baked goods every now and then :)

the other day i hit 8 on my phone... and i guess u were 8 on my speed dial... and i was like.. aw.. sad. i guess i can take her off speed dial :(

Anonymous said...

i'm looking forward to the big meals you'll be cooking when you get back as well. i'm anxious to learn some stuff... maybe you can teach me a few of the best recipies when we come visit!!