Friday, August 15, 2008

t-6 days

Less than one week until take off! I can hardly believe it. I was up late after Jake and Asante went to bed, reading through some material that the travel clinic person gave to us after we got our shots last month. It was terrifying! I had to make my mind stop racing as I was trying to fall asleep. Things like parasites and infections and malaria were a big threat in my mind at 11:00p. When I woke up this morning, it wasn't so bad. I think I'll be less nervous about all of that stuff once I get there and realize that it's not as terrifying as the packet of information lets on.

Asante got his yellow fever shot this morning and his Hib this afternoon- he totally took them like a champ! He cried for a split second and then stopped-- without the need of cuddling or a pacifier. I'm totally proud of him. :)

Tonight is the night of good-byes for most of our Columbia friends, and early tomorrow morning we'll be headed to St. Louis to help my little brother move into college. After that we'll head to Waterloo to hang out with my parents until we leave.

It's really weird... I feel like Columbia isn't my home right now (because we have no permanent home here anymore), and it doesn't feel like Waterloo or Potosi are our homes either, obviously because we haven't been there for awhile.... so I have this weird homesickness feeling that is uncurable. I'm not sure if the thought of moving to Nairobi makes it better or worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Home is where the heart is. Home is where you hang your hat. Home is wherever you snuggle-snuggle with your hubby & your baby(ies!) Home is where you come to in LESS THAN 2 years! ha. I'm trusting you guys will be learning so much new stuff you won't be homesick and time will fly by. I love you guys so much!