Monday, January 26, 2009

Catching Up I: Christmas

Wow, it’s been a long time since I’ve posted. I’m truly sorry about that! I hope that this series of posts catches everyone up.


Christmas
We had a very quiet Christmas here in Nairobi. We had decided months before that we would not do gifts this year…we (or maybe just I) called it our “Christmas Detox.” I knew that many, most, here on campus wouldn’t be exchanging gifts, so I wanted to participate in that. Plus, last year in the States was particularly hard for me in that I had a difficult time celebrating the Incarnation of Jesus in the world. Too much other clutter filled my mind—shopping, gifts, parties, food, money, etc.

So, instead, this Christmas Asante and I woke up to find that our living room had been turned into a Winter Wonderland! Jake had gotten up at 5:00a to cut out paper snowflakes, which he hung all over the walls. In addition, Jake had set out a small “gift” set for each of us. For Asante, it included his bottle, a banana (which he eats EVERY morning), a sucker that a store clerk had given to jake for him a few days before, and a gift from the Rowburys (one of our good friends on campus). On my pile, was a can of chocolate icing and a box of shortbread cookies to put it on (yum!), a small chocolate bar, and a Kenya-patterned headband that Jake had bought for both me and Grace (a young woman who helps us with some of the housekeeping and laundry).

So, we ate breakfast (I made French toast), Asante opened his gift, we read the Christmas story from Asante’s Bible, and spent a little time praying. Then, we went on our morning walk to check email and talk to a few people online (since it was Christmas eve in the states).

Later on that day, for lunch, we went to one of Jake’s professor’s house for a multi-cultural Christmas celebration. There were people from the UK, Kenya, Cameroon, Australia, and of course us, from America. We ate a FABULOUS meal, and enjoyed conversation with one another for a couple hours.

For a late dinner, we went to the Rowburys where they prepared leftovers from their Christmas lunch, and hung out for a while. Overall, it was a great day. The interesting thing about Christmas here? The day after Christmas, it was over. No more “happy holidays” or anything like that. No more Christmas celebrations. Oh, and another interesting thing is that it was really warm here on Christmas—which throws you off for sure! ☺

2 comments:

Barman said...

Wow! Nice post! That's why I love your blog. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

that is really cool. i want to participate in a christmas detox next year. i tried really hard to buy presents or make presents that had meaning or were socially just (i.e., i gave most of my business to the mustard seed, etc.) i dont know if you have seen pictures, but i have worn your purple beads a couple times! I LOVE THEM! and i LOVE you!